Saturday, February 21, 2015

Why Ian Somerhalder is a Good Celebrity



I had no idea who Ian Somerhalder was until last summer when I got Netflix and unintentionally became obsessed with the CW's The Vampire Diaries. He's appealing to the eye--anyone can tell you that. But what's behind that pretty face? Social media allowed me to explore my curiosities. I found that, not only is Ian a talented actor, director, and writer, but he is also profoundly involved with making a positive influence in our world, its environment, and its creatures. His Facebook page claims that he is a "philanthropist/entrepreneur/optimist." He created his own foundation, The Ian Somerhalder Foundation, with the mission statement being: "This foundation aims to empower, educate, and collaborate with people and projects to positively impact the planet and its creatures." Just visit his Twitter page or Instagram--you'll come to find sooner than later how much he cares about these truly meaningful causes and issues in our world. He's one of the most uplifting and admirable people around, and I only met him for a few seconds. At Cleveland's Comic Con today, I was able to meet and get a picture taken with the actor. He is just as kind as I would have expected him to be, and trust me, when meeting someone you admire strictly through a screen, it can be a little unsettling meeting them (What if they really aren't nice? What if they're not everything I imagined them to be?) Ian didn't disappoint. He greeted his fans individually and seemed welcoming and kind to all. He referred to me as a "cutie pie" and when I told him he is amazing he retorted with "You're amazing." If those baby blue eyes can't lighten up your day, then a compliment from this man definitely can! It just proved to me how much he genuinely cares about his fans and didn't JUST fly through the pictures like he had somewhere better to be (which he probably did!) Unfortunately due to weather conditions I missed his panel's Q&A, but I plan on attending the next Comic Con in Pittsburgh to get his autograph and listen to him speak (yes, he is going to another Con, so get your tickets now!) It's nice to know that a big-name actor who could use his time in the spot light any way he desires decided to use it to benefit society and our natural, beautiful world, and show his fans who care so much about him how much he cares about us in return. Finally, I'll leave you with the words Ian leaves his fans on Twitter every so often: "Goodnight beautiful world."

No comments:

Post a Comment