Monday, August 18, 2014

Student Teaching

I am currently living the final days of my college experience. Attending a university was, by far, one of the greatest decisions and accomplishments of my life. I learned a heck of a lot not only from the classes but also from the teachers, my classmates, the clubs I participated in, and the adventures I was able to go on throughout my three and a half years. I feel like I just moved into my dorm of freshmen year, and now I'll never live in a dorm again. It's one of the most bittersweet feelings I've ever had.

Needless to say, I am a healthy mixture of excited, nervous, invigorated, and terrified. I will begin teaching tenth grade basic and honors English at a high school nearby. The school is awesome and, although I only met her once and sent a few e-mails back and forth, my cooperating teacher seems wonderfully intelligent and helpful. I couldn't have been placed in a better setting for this major task in my life.

In just a few short months, I (hopefully) will be able to snatch a full-time teaching job. I'm already ready to launch into my career head-on, while also balancing seeing the ones I love, and of course, my ever-blooming writing career. I hope to have my dystopian novel finished and edited soon, but only time will tell if that is in the nearby future or if it will have to be set aside for the time being (let's pray for the former!)

Early twenties is a confusing, frustrating, and enthralling time of one's life--I've gathered that and I'm only twenty-one. As soon as December rolls around I'll be grappling with the real world and hopefully gathering my bearings to rent an apartment. All of these are huge steps in furthering my life, and although adulthood may be scary, I believe that college has definitely prepared me for jumping into this major responsibility.

All I have to do is close my eyes and imagine a door with "Ms. Damato" plastered to it, a desk littered with lesson plans, and a classroom full of eager students, prepared or not, to learn a few things I can teach them about English.

No comments:

Post a Comment