Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Goodbye 2013!

To say last year was hectic would be an understatement, but I'm going to say it anyway: it was hectic. The summary: the end of my sophomore/junior year at college, working full-time as an office assistant in my dad's steel mill all summer, getting hired a bookstore in a mall that I live near, struggling through what was the most stressful semester of my life, and finally, beginning a new relationship. Winter break was no breather either with working at my new job nearly every day. However, even though this semester is challenging, things have settled down slightly, just enough for me to come to the surface for air. I'm reading more books and I even have a little time to do some writing along with the load of school work I complete weekly. I've taken a break from my job until summer to give me extra time to complete life-related tasks, and that's taken a lot of stress off of my weeks. I'm also spending a good amount of time with Jake, which that in and of itself is a huge plus. I had nearly forgotten about this blog since it's been awhile that I've had anything writing or reading-related to talk about, so I decided to compile a little list of books I would recommend. Without futher ado, here you go!

  • City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare. It is the fourth installment in the Mortal Instruments series, and although I was intially skeptical because that series was originally going to end at book three, I decided to continue it and I am falling deeper and deeper in love with the characters and story line. I recently picked up the fifth book which I intend to read before the sixth and final book is released this May! Overall, if you enjoy action, romance, suspense, humor, and amazing writing, this series is definitely one you should begin! (Book One: City of Bones, Book Two: City of Ashes, Book Three: City of Glass, Book Four: City of Fallen Angels, Book Five: City of Lost Souls, and Book Six: City of Heavenly Fire).

  • Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. It is the first book in a series (not sure how many there is going to be!) and I read it during the summer on vacation. Thoroughly enjoyed it! It has enough action, romance, and dystopia that you can truly never guess what is coming next. It's a must-read!

  • The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze. I read this book over the summer as well, and even the first chapter had a shock factor that basically pulled me in to the rest of the book. It has a strong, young female protagonist who risks everything to protect her family and her kingdom, even when everything seems hopeless. It's a great story of rising above the odds, and when it ends, it definitely isn't over. Looking forward to reading the next book!

  • The Selection by Kiera Cass. I'm nearly done with this novel (may even finish it tonight!) but already I'd like to recommend this to anyone. Although it isn't exactly a girly book, because I am not a fan of those either, I still think that mainly girls would take the most away from this. It's about an outspoken teenaged girl who gets chosen for The Selection in which the country's prince will choose his wife. It's dystopian and the world is very interesting and there are so many things unfolding I truly do not know what to expect for the ending! It has just the right amount of suspense to keep me on edge page after page, and because of that, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment